MUST I HAVE A PILOTS LICENSE TO FLY A DRONE?
The drone operator does not need a pilots licence if he is operating for private or hobby use.The RPL (Remote Pilots Licence) is only required for commercial, corporate and non-profit use. The RPL is 10x less complex and time consuming as a full sized PPL licence.
WHAT DOES THE LAW SAY ABOUT WHERE YOU CAN FLY DRONES IN SOUTH AFRICA?
The SACAA has taken the lead in formulating its own recommended standards and practices, ahead of ICAO.
“In the absence of guiding documents from ICAO, regulators such as the SACAA have had to swiftly derive measures to address the regulation deficiency in response to a growing demand to regulate this sector.”
“The SACAA took into account the national safety and security needs. We also took into account the work done by ICAO thus far.
- Drones cannot fly more than 400ft or 120m above the ground, nor within in 10km of an aerodrome.
- Drones cannot be flown within 50m above or close to a person or crowd of people, structure or building – without prior SACAA approval. Nor can you fly drones adjacent to or above:
- a nuclear power plant
- a prison
- a police station
- a crime scene
- a court of law
- national key points
- The rules do apply to toy aircraft or unmanned free balloons or other types of aircraft which cannot be managed on a real-time basis during flight.
WHICH DRONE HAS THE BEST RANGE?
- The Petrel Drone has a 100m long control distance.
- The VR Razor has a 80m long control distance.
- The Wave Razor has a 60m long control distance.
WHICH DRONE FLIES THE LONGEST?
- The Wave Razor and VR Racer have a flight time of up to 8 minutes.
- The Petrel Drone has a flight time of up to 9 minutes.
DO ALL DRONES HAVE A CAMERA?
The Petrel and VR Racer drones have cameras.
HOW HARD IS IT TO OPERATE A DRONE AND IS IT DANGEROUS?
‘Practice makes perfect’. This is undoubtedly an apt statement because the initial stage of controlling a flight are quite easy and understandable but further to attain specialisation in getting over hurdles, passing obstacles and appropriate camera shots needs bit of flight experience. Also, the propellers of a drone are pretty sharp and can rotate from 5000-15000rpm thus arising dangers. It is therefore suggested to avoid flights near people or animals.
HOW ARE DRONES CONTROLLED?
A Drone is controlled through a remote control. This remote control consists of few buttons to operate the drone. The other way is a mobile application. With the latest technology, a Drone can even be controlled using a tracking device rather than a remote or mobile app
CAN I GET SPARE PARTS FOR MY DRONE?
Yes we do have spares – including spare batteries, chargers, propellers, propeller protectors, landing gear etc. Check out our spares page
Press the throttle and rudder down to 45 degrees (as shown on the image), the lights will start flashing, once they stop flashing release the controls. This indicates that the auto trim is finished.
To enable One Key Return function, follow the steps below:
- With the drone on in a stationary position on the ground, press the ‘Headless Mode’ button. (PLEASE NOTE: One Key Return function will not work out of headless mode and will continue to fly in a static direction)
- You may now use the drone to fly but try not to move away from where you stand while flying the drone – should you move from your position, the drone may not return to the correct location.
- Before pressing the One Key Return button, bring the drone down to no more than 1m above the ground.
- Press the One Key Return button and the drone will fly back in the general direction of its take off location.
**Please note that the drone does NOT have a GPS so it cannot determine the distance it must travel, so you will need to stop it once it has returned to its starting location – you can do this by interrupting it’s flight by pressing the right controller stick in any direction.
Press the button on the controller as shown in the image and you will hear a beeping sound, then you are in the headless flying mode. To quit from the compass mode, just press it again and the beeping will stop.
- Press the power button on the DRONE
- Enter the “settings” menu of your mobile device and turn on your WI-FI
- Find a WI-FI network called “HELICUTE 720P FPV”, click connected until “connected”
- Open the “HELICUTE 720P FPV” app, click the “play” icon on the control interface to watch the realtime video
- In the settings menu enable “Support high limited” on Android or “Altitude Hold” on iOS to fly the DRONE from your mobile device
- Click the ON/OFF (A) button to activate the flying mode and the START (B) button to start the motors
- To save the video, insert the TF card (optional) into the back of the DRONE
Open the helicute app > go to settings > disable slider 2 (reset fine tune…) and then enable it again.
This will reset the app, and the engine start & stop will be enabled in the app.